select top 6 from (select top 10 from lists)Mar 27, 07
ha! i got ya! you thought this was a sql post, but it’s not 😛 jeff atwood of codinghorror.com fame has a great article posted about his favorite top 10 lists. the top 6 ones to be exact.
here is the brief version with a link to each of them.
- Jerry Weinberg: The 10 Commandments of Egoless Programming
- Dare Obasanjo: Top 10 Signs Your Software Project is Doomed
- Omar Shahine: Top 10 Tips for Working at Microsoft (or Anywhere Else)
- Michael McDonough: The Top 10 Things They Never Taught Me in Design School
- Andres Taylor: Top 10 Things Ten Years of Professional Software Development Has Taught Me
- Steve Yegge: 10 Great Books
my personal top 10 items, in no particular order, out of the top 50 of these (i won’t include the books) are:
- learn from mistakes. they will happen anyway.
- consult before you rewrite.
- communication is the hardest part.
- rely on proven technology.
- process is no substitute for thinking.
- Get out of your office.
- keep it simple.
- add value all the time.
- learn to say no.
- all things are not equal.
- show respect to everyone.
the OCD among you will see that there are 11. i couldn’t let the 11th one there drop off, showing respect for your juniors and seniors i believe is a critical aspect to success. this applies to all area of life.